.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

"There is a secret set within each of our hearts...It is simply the desire for life as it was meant to be... Seasons may pass until it surfaces again. And though it seems to taunt us, and may at times cause us great pain, we know when it returns that it is priceless. For if we could recover this desire, unearth it from beneath all other distractions, and embrace it as our deepest treasure, we would discover the secret of our existance." -John Eldredge, The Journey of Desire

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Life Resumes

Life is moving along. The refinance STILL isn't done, but should be in the next week. Underwriters keep insisting on more and more information.

I made a decision regarding work. I have printed off the application for licensure and am obtaining study materials for the residential appraisal exam. I'll start there. Once the house is refinanced, I will take my last commercial course and finish my training...take the exam. I am an appraiser. It's just the way it is.

It's pathetic, really. I know I would like to teach. I know I would enjoy sales. But people ask me what I do and I still find myself saying I am an appraiser. And right now I am not a PRACTICING appraiser. So I am moving forward. The little chicky-poo who walked through my house for my refi is going to be surprised when I call and ask if she is still interested in hiring another appraiser. Or my buddy Phil will be - there's been an ongoing offer there. But I've about had it with the job I'm doing.

It's too demanding for something so dumb. Although, frankly, being in the same stores on a weekly basis has allowed me to feed my addiction to bargain shopping.

1. New area rug for the family room at half price.
2. New set of plastic cups and plates (set of ten) for $16.
3. New art for the bedroom for 1/5 the original price.
4. Large, decorative wooden box for daughter for 1/5 the original cost.
5. New bath towels and rugs and shower curtain and art for two bathrooms - 1/2 off.
6. New dishes for kitchen -40% off.
7 Miscellaneous clothing.
7. Lavender leather coat for 1/5 the usual or $29.

I know this is sad...but this is like a sport for me. A hobby. Spring is rolling around and not only does that mean I get to go play in the mud on a daily basis, but auctions begin in earnest around here. I love auctions. I've even managed to end up with a date or two after an auction. But mostly, I meet interesting people and walk away with junk I don't need. I call this fun. At the same time, tools go pretty cheap - and the ex took all his tools. I like tools. In particular, I like woodworking tools.

Funny, Mr. Boyfriend sells furniture for about 15 thousand different companies and I prefer to build my own. Like the headboard and armoire in my bedroom. What's next? My fireplace needs to be revamped. Redesigned. Until then...I am painting. Kids bedrooms. Everything else...and biding my time until I can go outside and stay there until fall.

I am discovering that I have a very male streak...should I replace the lawn tractor this year? I need a leaf blower...should it be a gas one or an electric one? I have trouble starting my gas weed wacker - maybe I should go with electric (lighter, too)...I don't know. One would think I would really prefer new living room furniture. I would, actually. But it can wait. Maybe I'll get a good deal at an auction! But the lawn tractor...well, it'll come with a warranty, maybe even a service contract. This is what I need.

Ultimately, the decision to go back to appraising is a practical one. What I really want from life is to enjoy my family, have some money to enjoy my home, my family and travel a little, and, well, that's it. Plan for my future. So, I might end up hating it, but I'll be able to support myself and my kids and that is what counts. Right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home