.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

"There is a secret set within each of our hearts...It is simply the desire for life as it was meant to be... Seasons may pass until it surfaces again. And though it seems to taunt us, and may at times cause us great pain, we know when it returns that it is priceless. For if we could recover this desire, unearth it from beneath all other distractions, and embrace it as our deepest treasure, we would discover the secret of our existance." -John Eldredge, The Journey of Desire

Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Kitchen Sink

My kitchen sink is broken. Not the sink itself, but the plumbing. There is no familial male to call to help me fix it. I ignored it for 24 hours hoping it would fix itself. I refused to use the kitchen other than to bake a pizza. This morning I looked again before I left for Church and it was still broken.

I went to Menards and looked around for some knowledgable employee to help me. I wanted glue for metal. If it was a girl problem, that's how I'd fix it. I'd glue it back together. I refuse to replace pipes. There was no sales person around. Instead I found a relatively competent looking male standing in the isle with all the pvc piping. I explained my problem. He told me what to do but also suggested I find an employee to ask. Aha! One available. Competent looking male was wrong.

I needed soldering adhesive. Good, because I gave my ex's soldering stuff back to him a few weeks ago. Not that I'd have any idea what to do with it, but it's just melting metal, right? How hard can it be? I buy my three dollar package of wonder glue and go home with instruction to keep it off my hands. Um, ok.

I sit in front of the sink, mix the goop, apply it and hold the parts together. I let go, and WALLA! It didn't hold. I decided I needed to just add more goop and hold it together longer. So that's what I did. It seemed to work...so I cleaned up my mess and walked away. I checked on it about a half an hour later and WALLA! It didn't hold.

I walked away from it again. Maybe something brilliant would occur to me later. A few minutes ago I was examining the problem again (which simply means I was standing in the kitchen looking at my sink, trying to think of someone I could call). I realized that only ONE side of the sink leaks. This is NOT the side attached to the garbage disposal or the dishwasher. HA! I can walk away again until something smart occurs to me. I simply won't use the other side. I stuck a stopper in the drain hole so that the kids don't mess with it and...walked away.

I remember after my spouse moved out and I mowed the lawn with the John Deere Tractor for the first time. He always made it seem like he was working really hard. I was to pay homage to him for his hard work. Yeah, right. Ice tea in hand, I can drive that thing around for an hour and "work" really hard, too. Generally, though, I drive it too fast on the side of a "hill" and nearly overturn it. This is fun. And when it wouldn't start I even knew enough to pry the cap off the batteries and see if there was water in the little holes. There wasn't. So I put water in them. Distilled water. I'm learning. But the kitchen sink has me stumped. I'm thinking that goop and then duck tape. And then my father A.S.A.P.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful writing.

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home